The Leather Industry holds a prominent place in the Indian economy. This sector is known for its consistency in high export earnings and it is among the top ten foreign exchange earners for the Country.
Leather Industry – Overview, Export Performance and Prospects
- The export of footwear, leather and leather products from India reached a value of US$ 5.74 billion during 2017-18.
- The leather industry is bestowed with an affluence of raw materials as India is endowed with 20% of world cattle & buffalo and 11% of world goat & sheep population.
- Added to this are the strengths of skilled manpower, innovative technology, increasing industry compliance to international environmental standards, and the dedicated support of the allied industries.
- The leather industry is an employment intensive sector, providing job to about 4.42 million people,
- mostly from the weaker sections of the society. Women employment is predominant in leather products sector with about 30% share.
- India is the second largest producer of ‘Footwear and Leather garments’ in the world.
- India is the second largest exporter of leather garments and third largest exporter of ‘Saddlery & Harness’ in the world.
We are happy to help & discuss all your queries, please contact us through following ways-